During this time various cremated people were buried around and in these stone holes.
A second, small circle of bluestones (called by the excavators ‘bluestonehenge’) was put up around the same time a little way to the east, by the River Avon.
It was unusual for prehistoric hunter-gatherers to build monuments, and there are no comparable structures from this era in northwestern Europe.
Within a 3-mile (5-km) radius of Stonehenge there remain from the Neolithic Period at least 17 long barrows (burial mounds) and two cursus monuments (long enclosures), all dating to the 4th millennium that is more than 330 feet (100 metres) in diameter, enclosing 56 pits called the Aubrey Holes, named after John Aubrey, who identified them in 1666.
Somewhere around 2300 BC (give or take a hundred years) various earthworks were undertaken, including the cutting of ditches to form a rather bent avenue (‘The Avenue’) leading from Stonehenge to the river.
Other archaeologists, however, have since come to view this part of Salisbury Plain as a point of intersection between adjacent prehistoric territories, serving as a seasonal gathering place during the 4th and 3rd millennia Archer, an Early Bronze Age skeleton with a knee injury, excavated 3 miles (5 km) from Stonehenge—that Stonehenge was used in prehistory as a place of healing.
He said the University of Malta had an ongoing project in conjunction with Bournemouth University.
“We are trying to do something similar to this Stonehenge dig.
An ax jawbone found in the ditch, which gave a date several hundred years earlier than the antlers, and was probably buried as an offering (both the antler picks and jawbone are now in the Salisbury and South Wiltshire Museum).
All living things contain carbon, including a naturally radioactive form of carbon.